This blog is a chance for us to tell our story and shine the light on the God who wrote it.

It is also a place for me to bring into the spotlight the millions of orphans around the world who are waiting for the Body of Christ to fulfill God's command to "care for orphans and widows in their distress" (James 1:27)

Soli deo Gloria... (All Glory to God Alone).

4.27.2011

What About the Kids You Already Have?




My big boy just turned 8!!! I wanted to take a minute to tell you a story about our oldest son, whom I decided to label "Nutty Professor" because I cannot use his initial without constantly being confused, seeing as how it is "I". Nutty Professor is fitting since he is super silly and super smart all rolled into one :-)

When S and I were in the very early stages of considering this new adoption, Nutty Professor overheard a teeny bit of our conversation in the car in which I was expressing my hesitations or doubts. As soon as the car stopped in the driveway, Mr. Nutty jumped up from the back seat, made sure he had my attention, pointed his index finger at me, and declared in a sweet, yet firm voice: "Mom, if God is calling you to do something, you'd better do it!" And, of course, he was right!

I teared up with gratitude that God would speak to me through my son (not the first time) and also with love for this amazing little boy God has given us. Then I remembered the voices from way back when we adopted 'B'. "Think about the kids you already have. What about them? What if this is too hard for them?"... "This could ruin your family"... "What about college? How will you send them all to college?" And for a second, I got nervous... I wanted to 'protect' what we already have- these precious, amazing, totally undeserved gifts from God.

Then I remembered. I remembered that I love them too much to 'protect' them in that way. I love them so much that I want to live the life of faith in a way that declares to them 'God is faithful! You don't have to worry or fear! You can take risks... we can take them together, because we have a loving God who is guiding us!'

Does this mean that I don't care about the impact another adoption will have on them or that I don't care about their education? Not at all. In fact, the adoption of our youngest son, while not always easy, has been a priceless gift to our older children. For these are the gifts I long to give them- faith, hope, love for others, a purpose beyond themselves, deeper dependence on God- the things that last for eternity. (Not to mention, the gift of 'Big B' himself and all the laughter and joy he brings to our home!)

As for the college education... someone else once wrote about that in a way that pretty much sums it up for us. I think it hit home for alot of Christian parents, since it had already had like 10,000 hits when I ran across it around a year ago! Check it out here.

In the meantime, Happy Birthday, Nutty Professor. You are my sunshine ('sonshine'- you know what I mean, "I") If you know Mr. Nutty, leave him a comment- he'd be thrilled!

2 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Isaac!! I think of you often because there is a student of mine here in Korea that could be your Korean twin! You both have very similar personalities but are both uniquely special. I miss you and your family a lot. Make sure to give them all big hugs and kisses from me. You are (and always will be) my favorite Issac.
    Love,
    Miss Kristi

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know that handsome boy, but I've met his fabulous parents! Happy Birthday.

    Haley, I had not heard of that care package group--that sounds awesome that they provide you with a picture. The agency we used said we would get some photos, but we never did. We were disappointed, but at least we will get her update soon. Our most recent pics are over a year old, so it will be interesting to see how much she has changed--even if I have to wait to see her in person.

    ReplyDelete