This blog is a chance for us to tell our story and shine the light on the God who wrote it.

It is also a place for me to bring into the spotlight the millions of orphans around the world who are waiting for the Body of Christ to fulfill God's command to "care for orphans and widows in their distress" (James 1:27)

Soli deo Gloria... (All Glory to God Alone).

5.08.2011

Gift of Gratefulness


I am so embarrassed to admit this, but I began this Mother's Day struggling with ungratefulness. It had been creeping in for days as I had missed a couple mornings of prayer and let my focus during the day wander to some things I had been wanting for awhile. I even began to think that I “deserve” these things. How incredibly foolish... on this day of all days. A day when I can stop and savor and be thankful for the absolutely incredible and totally undeserved gifts I have been given. I am called “Mom”- this... this is a gift inexpressible.

Now with a few moments of solitude I remember the woman so far away that I always carry close to my heart. (I will call her “Meseret” here.) Always I remember her. I remember seeing her say 'goodbye' to her only son for the last time. She hands him into my arms and her words are translated to me: “I gave him to God. Now I give him to you.” I hug her, look her in the eyes and say all I know to say- “Thank you.” But I am numb. I know if I let the tears come they will not stop. Scott embraces her but does not let go quickly. She melts and the sobs come and all of the sudden it is so real for me. She is me. I mean, before I did not know what to expect when I met her- we were so far apart, she and I- our worlds so different. But in this moment all of that fades and she is a mother just like me. A mother who genuinely loves her son and has had to make the choice to give him to another to raise. I am overwhelmed. What happens to cause a mother who truly loves her son to give him away to someone else? And the answers are all around me- the poverty so crushing; babies die here... a lot; disease that rips away a generation of parents. I have read all about it. But now here she is handing me her son.

Admittedly, there is so very much I do not know and much more I do not understand. I do not glorify “Meseret”, but I do honor her. She gave her son to God and God brought sweet “B” to us. I can let myself be paralyzed with the questions all of this raises... Why is her greatest loss my great gain? But the way of Jesus is not that way. Because I do not have to always understand to love. And I want to choose the way of Jesus- expressed so beautifully by this precious woman. I will choose the way of sacrifice infused with the deepest gratitude. For what great gift can I give to “Meseret” in exchange for the gift she has given me? At the very least, I can be grateful. Everyday grateful for the awesome privilege of being 'mom' to sweet 'B'.

Next post I will share a unique opportunity God brought us to honor “Meseret” and the many women like her in Ethiopia. A wonderful ministry in Ethiopia that has seen the needs of mothers and come alongside them to help them gain employment and be able to care for their children...

2 comments:

  1. I keep forgetting to add you to my blog roll so thanks for leaving a few comments...going to do that now!

    This is a great post...I think you have a lovely writing voice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember that day so well. Thank God that "B" was so happy and cheerful that week--otherwise I think many people would have fallen apart. I remember looking into his beautiful eyes, with the lashes that curled up perfectly and thinking, "God bless the mother who had the courage to let him go." I know I could never be that strong.

    I wish you guys were traveling with us this time too! But, I'll keep track of costs and the best places to eat and shop--of course you HAVE to go to Lucy's in Guangzhou!

    ReplyDelete