This blog is a chance for us to tell our story and shine the light on the God who wrote it.

It is also a place for me to bring into the spotlight the millions of orphans around the world who are waiting for the Body of Christ to fulfill God's command to "care for orphans and widows in their distress" (James 1:27)

Soli deo Gloria... (All Glory to God Alone).

6.19.2011

Thoughts From a Grateful Wife


Never have I loved this man more than I have in the past four years. Since that day when God began to answer our prayer – Break our hearts for what breaks yours. And how many times since have I heard him pray this even when the breaking has been so hard?



Then the honor and beauty of watching this man embrace an orphan child and choose to call him his own. And this son... yes, he bears the honor of his name- meaning “son of my right hand”- for he has a daddy who loves him to pieces and his place in our family is no less than the firstborn son.
And his heart continues to break and he doesn't protect it and I know there will be many more orphans who see the love of their heavenly Father through this man.


Just like I have.

About three years ago, S set out to find out what it would truly mean to love me “as Christ loves the church” (Eph. 5:25). The timing was opportune as my health was unpredictable. There was a new baby, we were now 'outnumbered'... and an often-sick mom. So he served. And he gave up a lot of things. He sought God when his heart was weary or frustrated by his circumstances. God answered, and more strength came and he is happy to serve.

At the end of the day he was tired. He would crash next to me in bed. I was tormented that I could not be strong and be the wife and mom I wanted to be... I thought I should be. I hated that the burden was all on him. I cried and he listened and grace happened. And all I know is that this man who fumbles for words spoke so loudly with his actions that even this anxious heart of mine could not deny the resounding theme of God's extravagant love for me. And it felt like I was standing under a waterfall of grace as I began to see more clearly that that love is not based on what I do but simply upon the fact that He has chosen to love me. Love is always a choice. There is a deep freedom in knowing you are loved when you feel you have nothing to offer.

I hesitated to post these words about my husband, because I promised myself that if I ever started a blog it would not be 'polished'. I previously had been very wary of all this internet stuff- blogging, Facebook, etc. I guess I felt like everyone posts all the good, and their lives seem far more glamorous or godly or whatever-I-am-not leaving me with a tinge of guilt or jealousy far too often. So this is always on my mind, and I want to be careful of this. In this case, when posting about S, though, I thought this- “We're never promised another day, he and I. And folks usually wait till someone dies to say all the wonderful things and I want to take these opportunities to say them now” Knowing all is a gift of grace...

S has his weaknesses, of course, and is far from perfect. He's frightfully forgetful. Every other day it seems, I find his dirty socks in some strange place, removing them this morning from my place at the kitchen table before breakfast. And, you know, I suppose I could go and on and on, but isn't that what we women always do and how I long to be the one that builds him up rather than tears him down.

So Happy Father's Day, S. You make me to smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment