This blog is a chance for us to tell our story and shine the light on the God who wrote it.

It is also a place for me to bring into the spotlight the millions of orphans around the world who are waiting for the Body of Christ to fulfill God's command to "care for orphans and widows in their distress" (James 1:27)

Soli deo Gloria... (All Glory to God Alone).

10.07.2011

"Chara" Joy



Introducing... new pictures of our daughter!!

Mei Chara

I love naming our children. It is something that we pray about together, and we ask God to show us a name that has meaning for each child so that as they grow to learn and understand where their name came from they can see a little glimpse of how God sees them and how we see them.

Mei is our daughter's birth name, but not what she is called in her orphanage. So, in effect, we are changing her name. Scott sent me an email recently that I think describes perfectly why we wanted to name her Mei.

"Mei - plum, beautiful, charming, attractive, rose

Qi - fine jade, outstanding, distinguished, special, pretty

When I read the meanings of the names she was given by her birthmother, I'm overwhelmed with the amount of love she must have had for Mei. Even with Mei's medical condition, she was seen as beautiful and special. We have been entrusted with a precious gift. May we honor the sacrifice made by this loving mother."



Her middle name came as a result of the incredible joy that God has brought into our home as we began to move forward with Him in this adoption journey. What He did in my heart to bring me to a place of surrender, left me with a new freedom from things that had weighed me down before. I felt like I jumped and He caught me and I wished I'd jumped sooner because I had no idea how quickly He would catch me or how amazing it would feel to be carried by God. All of this He has done already, before Mei has even come into our home. But all as a result of the faith jump that we took when we said 'yes' to her and to God. We have tasted a joy that is not dependent on circumstances and therefore cannot be taken away. God used Mei to bring that joy and so we are giving her the middle name that is the Greek word used in scripture for joy- "Chara".

The idea actually came while reading what is now my favorite book of all time, "One Thousand Gifts" by Ann Voskamp. Here's a little quote ...


"Joy is the realest reality, the fullest life, and joy is always given, never grasped. God gives gifts and I give thanks and I unwrap the gift given: joy".


When I jumped out on this faith journey, I stopped grasping ... trying to control my days, my future ... and God gave joy. And Mei Chara is the tangible gift given when God poured out the joy. And all I know to do is give thanks. From the depths of my soul I give thanks. And pray that one day our Mei will know the joy she brought into our home before she even arrived here.

1 comment: