This blog is a chance for us to tell our story and shine the light on the God who wrote it.

It is also a place for me to bring into the spotlight the millions of orphans around the world who are waiting for the Body of Christ to fulfill God's command to "care for orphans and widows in their distress" (James 1:27)

Soli deo Gloria... (All Glory to God Alone).

10.07.2011

An Undeserved Gift From God




When I shared the story of how God moved in our hearts to begin another adoption, I wanted to be vulnerable about my weaknesses in the hopes that those who read this testimony would see more of God's graciousness and mercy than they would of me. As an adoptive mother of a child from Ethiopia, I have gotten far too many "Ooohs and Aahhs" (ok, well and some "ughs", too!). It is those moments where I feel like there is this light shining on me, and I just want to disappear ... or say the 'right thing' so that somehow they could see through me to Him. And how do I explain that I am nothing? Nothing but loved and redeemed and empowered.

For us, as for many families, the inspiration to adopt a child is borne out of an overwhelming realization of the love God displayed for us in 'adopting' us. Yes, it is true, Scott and I are moved by the needs of orphan children, more than I could ever express. There has been for years an ever increasing burning-burden-intense love-thing going on in our hearts and souls as we grow deeper and deeper in love with these children. And God just keeps calling us deeper in, further still.

But the call has always been to HIM. It's just that the two intertwine so beautifully. In Matthew 25:40, Jesus goes so far as to say that when we do anything to care for "the least of these children of" His, we are caring for Him. And while Jesus used this term, 'the least of these', to explain who He was talking about, in no way did He consider them 'least'. This is how the world sees them - the poor, the oppressed, the marginalized, the orphan, the sick, the widow. But they are by no means least to Jesus. The reality is that He spent the vast majority of His ministry on Earth with the 'least'- teaching, healing, touching, visiting their homes, using them as examples of those who are the greatest in the Kingdom of God. And ultimately, He identifies with them. This is why Mother Theresa calls the poor "Jesus in disguise".

Perhaps some of my story earlier could be misunderstood. The truth is that while I have loved Jesus and loved orphans for some time now, I also like control and planning. (Although, I will say those two latter qualities have taken a hard hit in the last year!) So this was about laying those things down. It was about surrendering to God's plan.

But now? Now we are fully and completely head-over-heals excited about bringing this child into our home. She is our daughter. And while in the world's eyes, she is certainly among 'the least of these' ( or she would not be where she is now), we see her as the greatest. She is a gift to us. Her value is limitless ... eternal. And when she comes into our family, we pray we will love on her and serve her as if Jesus Himself were in our home... And if, by the grace of God we do (on a good day), you can look back at the fearful, self-focused woman still living/dying inside of me and together we can acknowledge God's greatness... His amazing grace in using something so broken to bring Him glory...

Soli deo gloria

(posts I am referring to can be found in April archives, beginning with "Not On Our Radar")

No comments:

Post a Comment