This blog is a chance for us to tell our story and shine the light on the God who wrote it.

It is also a place for me to bring into the spotlight the millions of orphans around the world who are waiting for the Body of Christ to fulfill God's command to "care for orphans and widows in their distress" (James 1:27)

Soli deo Gloria... (All Glory to God Alone).

3.15.2012

Finding My Voice

There is something that has been on my mind for a long time. Something that I have wanted to write about here, but honestly just haven’t known where to begin. I have written this post a million times in my head, knowing that it is one small step of obedience for me.

Ever since Scott and I began to follow God’s call to care for orphans back in 2007, I have felt strongly that, outside of adoption, the primary way that God wanted to use me was to be a voice for the voiceless.

"Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves; ensure justice for those being crushed."
Prov 31:8 NLV



By his grace, I have had a few opportunities to do that through the Orphan Care Ministry at our church. Yet, I’ve always known there is more.

And for a little over a year now, God has been preparing me for this in two ways. First, I am more aware now than ever before of the plight of orphans in some truly horrendous situations—these are the “least” of the “least of these”. (And therefore, in the eyes of God, they are extremely precious.) So the reality is now I know. I have spent a good deal of my free time over the past year learning not only about the realities that orphans face in several countries around the world but also about the doors that are wide open for God’s people to bring hope and a chance for life into some very, very dark places. And now, I feel like God is saying- “Your eyes have been opened. Now you know. What will you do with what you know?”

"The Sovereign LORD has given me an instructed tongue,
to know the word that sustains the weary.
He wakens me morning by morning,
wakens my ear to listen like one being taught.
The Sovereign LORD has opened my ears..."
Isaiah 50:4-5



Which brings me to the second way that God has been preparing me for what lies ahead. To put it quite simply, He has broken my heart. Now, in His defense, this is exactly what I asked for. Scott and I have prayed a lot over the past few years: “Lord, break our hearts for what breaks yours.” (And of course, He has allowed us to only see a glimpse of the things that move Him, because He knows what we can handle.)

But I will be honest and say that I had no idea how much this would hurt. This gaping wound I carry around now- this empty, hurting place in my heart longing for rescue and redemption for every single child who has no family. When I see their pictures on a screen now, they don’t just flash by like this far-off problem that I can do nothing about. Every one stirs my heart. I grieve for every one of these children. Every one I see, I wonder for just a second, “Could this be my child?” Because for just a second, I am hit with the reality that they are as dear to the heart of Christ as Isaac, Zoe, Ben and Mei are to mine. Even moreso, for He loves more purely than I. He says to me with each child I see, “Haley, this is my Isaac. This is my Mei... If you love the things I love, I want you to know that I love these children. More than you could ever imagine. Think about what you would do to save Zoe if she was wasting away in an orphanage on the other side of the world. Is there anything you would NOT do to save her? Could anyone hold you back from getting to her?”

So this is where I am today. And I know the next step is for me to speak up. To begin to tell the stories of certain waiting children that God has brought to my attention. To help others who are bringing to light the horrendous situation for many special needs orphans in Eastern Europe. And to help the Body of Christ to see that indeed, these children are our responsibility, and with the power of God carrying us forward in love, we can make an eternal impact in the lives of these precious ones.

Will you pray for me? Pray that I will be faithful to the opportunities the Lord has set before me to speak on behalf of His precious children. I will share much of this here on our blog as well. As always, in all things, my desire is Christ- to know Him, worship Him and reveal Him through my life. My desire is that His gospel would go forth into the darkest places on earth, (and oh how I long that He would use me in some small way to this end.)

"...my justice will become a light to the nations.
My righteousness draws near speedily,
my salvation is on the way,
and my arm will bring justice to the nations.
The islands will look to me
and wait in hope for my arm."
Isaiah 51:4c-5

2 comments:

  1. Definitely praying for you. My heart is broken too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you, gwen. would love to hear more about what God is showing you, and how He is leading you to respond-- (feel free to email me at haleyuf@hotmail.com).
    sometimes it is so difficult for me to know what my response should be-- but God is reminding me to wait on Him, to trust that He will show us what it looks like to obey Him. i clicked on your blog and saw some *precious* little girls on there... must be your daughters?
    praying a specific prayer for you and your family today that you would be filled with the knowledge of God's grace and love for you!
    haley

    ReplyDelete