This blog is a chance for us to tell our story and shine the light on the God who wrote it.

It is also a place for me to bring into the spotlight the millions of orphans around the world who are waiting for the Body of Christ to fulfill God's command to "care for orphans and widows in their distress" (James 1:27)

Soli deo Gloria... (All Glory to God Alone).

5.13.2012

What I've Learned From My Mother




Dear Mom,

I just want you to know how grateful I am that God chose you to be my mother.  So many things I took for granted growing up… and I didn’t know you were teaching me then.  You probably didn’t either.  You were just living it.


Love-love that bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things”…   this kind of love I first learned from my mother…
I lived under the protection and freedom that kind of love brings.   I can see now how much of my security and confidence as a teen stemmed from the respect and support I received at home.  I rarely felt like I needed to conform to the pressures of other teens, because I genuinely felt valued and that I did not need to prove myself.  Wow.  When I look back on that I think… what a gift!
And you still live this today.  When it hurts and when it seems to bear no fruit and when the pain seems to be overwhelming.  You chose… you still choose… to love.  And “the greatest of these is love”…


Sacrifice-  Mom, I want you to know that I saw all your sacrifices.  And they have made me much of who I am today. 
I can see now how you laid it all down for John and I… and you did it gladly.  You are the strongest woman I have ever known.


Forgiveness...   I don’t even want to imagine the bitterness and wounds I would carry around to this day… that would weigh me down and stifle the joy in me… if I had not learned from your example that the hard work of forgiveness is worth the freedom it produces.


   Mom, for all the things you taught me… for how you have lived… for who you are…  For all these things, I want to thank you today.   I have always been proud to call you my mom.  This year you enter a new decade of life… still the gorgeous, loving, giving woman I have always known you to be.   




Happy Mother’s Day, Mom.

1000 Moms Project

No comments:

Post a Comment