This blog is a chance for us to tell our story and shine the light on the God who wrote it.

It is also a place for me to bring into the spotlight the millions of orphans around the world who are waiting for the Body of Christ to fulfill God's command to "care for orphans and widows in their distress" (James 1:27)

Soli deo Gloria... (All Glory to God Alone).

6.22.2012

Mei's Surgery Update

This may be my last update from Cincinnati as Scott leaves tomorrow.  Since Mei calls for me even when I attempt to use the bathroom, I am thinking I probably won't get much computer time!  So I wanted to update really quick.  (Actually, it didn't end up being quick, so I broke this into two posts!)

Mei's surgery was this past Tuesday and it went really well.  The first 24 hours following surgery were really tough.  Tuesday night as I held her down for the *third* long and grueling attempt to get her on a catheter, I just broke down and cried.  It is so hard to watch this precious child suffer.  Especially when I consider how much of her life has already been marked by suffering.  After a week of all this testing and then the surgery, I was watching her withdraw a bit.  She would turn her face away from my affection and just stare like I saw her do in those pictures from the orphanage.  So I cried.  And, honestly, it felt good to cry with her.

Thankfully, the next day, she began to turn a corner.  And now, she is well on the road to recovery.  We are seeing her smile again, and yesterday we even got her up and walking.


Mei was excited to get an e-card from Evie.

 Thrilled about the huge Dora balloon Daddy bought for her!

 This special shower cap washes her hair with shampoo, and we don't even have to rinse.  I want one of these for home!  Heck, with this I could wash my hair while driving.  Talk about multi-tasking!

Mei is back to wearing her signature glasses and bow.  We also brought "Baby Serenity" (that's what she named both of her dolls- after our neighbor's baby).  Here she is telling Serenity to "look at the camera"!

Many have asked how the other children are doing.  They are staying with my dad and Mary, my step-mom, who refers to herself as "the crazy grandmother".  I believe she has fully earned this title the past two weeks. Seriously y'all, I was getting worried.  The first time I called to check in, I got a wild and enthusiastic (insert serious Southern accent): "HEY!  Can't talk right now... we're about to get on the Tilt-A-Whirl!!  Ohmygoodness, what am I doing?!  We're all gonna puke!  Don't worry, Isaac's holding our stuff!!  Gotta go!!"

Mind you, I am calling her while Mei is sedated for her MRI, hoping for a nice little chat about how they are painting doilies in the playroom or something.  Instead, I am left wondering if I should worry about Mei or about Beniam, who is only four, and is apparently getting on the dad-gum Tilt-A-Whirl and there isn't a thing in the world I can do about it!  (Everything turned out fine).

The next time I called, this is what I got.  "HEY!  We are out riding scooters on the Greenway!  And guess what, I rode one, too!  OH NO... OH NO...!!"  (enter crackling, rustling noises, and her voice fading out) "Somebody come get the phone!! Quick!!  Come get the phone quick!!"  Phone drops.

Of course, I am thinking that one of the kids took a nasty spill and broke their arm.  Instead, Mary was apparently riding her scooter while we were on the phone.  And she fell.  And did you catch that?  Her scooter.  When she told me she was riding one, I assumed she borrowed one for a few minutes from one of the kids.  Oh no... not Mary.  She bought herself a kids' scooter, which she proudly reported was purple and had princesses on it.

Now I know that you are all thinking I must be loony to leave my children with this woman, but it turns out they had a great time. In all seriousness, Mary, along with the five other grandparents my kids have (not to mention great-grands!)... is an incredible gift from God.  She has jumped in with enthusiasm to help with both of our adoption trips as well as this trip.  She is wild and fun, but always protective and caring with her grandkids.





6 comments:

  1. Your FCC family is praying over you. Love Gwen Waite. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you so much, gwen! what an encouragement to know that others are thinking of us and praying for us. we sure have enjoyed getting to know other FCC families and look forward to seeing everyone more at upcoming events. hope you and your family are enjoying a wonderful summer.
    blessings,
    haley

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stopping by to catch up with your sweet family. Didn't realize Mei was already having the surgery. Praying for a speedy recovery for your sweet girl. Grandma Mary sounds like a hoot! Our girls have a grandfather they call "Crazy Pa". I think every family needs one! Hope to catch up in person soon. I heard Satchels is back up and running--their pizza is calling my name! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks, 'b family' for the prayers! yes, Mary is a hoot. i could devote and entire blog to her antics... and the best thing is that she can laugh at herself. she is a blessing, for sure.
    we'd be thrilled to see your beautiful family up our way! i want to hear in-person account of how God is growing your family and leading you to your son in haiti.
    hugs,
    haley

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am overwhelmed by how precious Mei is! Looking forward to meeting her one day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Morgan!! how about really soon?! won't you be in our area this coming weekend? i know you are super busy but if you have anytime to stop by or if we could meet you somewhere, let me know. scott and i and the kids would love to see you!! mei and i will be back in town friday night. we'll be seeing matt and tereva sunday night if you are around then?
    hugs,
    haley

    ReplyDelete