This blog is a chance for us to tell our story and shine the light on the God who wrote it.

It is also a place for me to bring into the spotlight the millions of orphans around the world who are waiting for the Body of Christ to fulfill God's command to "care for orphans and widows in their distress" (James 1:27)

Soli deo Gloria... (All Glory to God Alone).

10.06.2012

More Than I Can Handle


             “God will not give you more than you can handle.”   You’ve heard this bible quote before, right?  I believe it’s found in 2 Hogwash 3:43.

                For the longest time I believed that this principle was true.  (It’s really a verse about temptation taken way out of context.)  So whenever I felt overwhelmed with life or that it was becoming more than I could handle, I spiraled downward into a place of anger and shame.   One moment I would be angry with God because I felt He had given me more than I could handle and it wasn’t fair… because He had promised never to give me more than I could handle- right?  I felt abandoned by God.

The next moment I would remember how faithful God had been to me over the years and I would be filled with shame.  Surely, I reasoned, he had been faithful to not give me more than I could handle, but I was simply so weak and sinful that I buckled even under pressures that I should have been able to handle.

Shortly after our son Beniam came home and I became a mother of three, my migraines kicked into high gear.  They were frequent and would last for several days each time.  They were often debilitating, and there was nothing at all that worked to treat them.  My newly adopted son needed much attention and again I felt angry, abandoned, and shame-filled.   I cried out to God- “Why would you give me these children and not give me the ability to care for them?”

                Looking back now I can see that my cries to God were accusations, not pleas for help.  And I am learning now, when God gives me more than I can handle (because He does), it is because what He wants from me is more than a servant who will fulfill His purposes… more than a good mom who can ‘buck up’ and make it through the hard days with a smile.  He wants me to need Him (because He knows that's where I'll find my greatest joy).  He longs for me to surrender to Him in my weakest moments and let Him show me that is really is who He's always said He was-- my Strength, my Joy, "a very present help in trouble", my Shepherd, my Comforter, my Friend.

                Let me be clear- God has never given me anything that I could not handle with his help.  And by ‘help’, I don’t mean a cheer from the sidelines or a little push here or there.  I mean the kind of help He really likes to give- where I surrender completely and His strength is made perfect right there smack dab in the middle of my weakness.

So what kept me from really receiving His help all this time?  I believed another lie from the book of Baloney, Chapter 18.   I hope you will come back and read tomorrow about this often-used phrase that propelled me so far away from the grace that God was offering me.  And how the truth opened the door to hope and joy—more than I can handle, really…

2 comments:

  1. Haley,
    I got your comment on my blog about the WAGI posts! :) No worries. Thanks for letting me know about the email snafu. (I've had that happen with someone before and it is so frustrating!)
    I have to say my heart stopped when I saw this latest post of yours because the "He won't give you more than you can handle" lie has been rattling around in my brain, too and I've been working on a post about it...from my experience in growing our family. I'll share it with you if I ever get it done!
    I love your blog! It is very encouraging to me!
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  2. stephanie-

    your comment brought a huge smile to my face this morning! i'll be honest that i sometimes wonder if these posts are read hardly at all... and yet i feel like God has so clearly put these words on my heart and i am compelled to write regardless. i want to be faithful to Him. and yet, it is a deep encouragement to my heart when someone comments or emails to let me know He used these words to bless them :-)
    i will be checking out your blog for your post when it is ready... you've got me all curious now, and i am interested to hear your thoughts on this subject!

    blessings -- haley

    ReplyDelete