This blog is a chance for us to tell our story and shine the light on the God who wrote it.

It is also a place for me to bring into the spotlight the millions of orphans around the world who are waiting for the Body of Christ to fulfill God's command to "care for orphans and widows in their distress" (James 1:27)

Soli deo Gloria... (All Glory to God Alone).

3.10.2014

Overtaken



It happened today.  

We are sitting in our hotel room here in Guangzhou.  I am sitting on one couch reading and Eden is next to me in a chair working intently on her stenciling project.  I look up and stare at her, just taking it all in.  She feels me staring at her and looks up; her face lights up with that joyful smile and she says, “Mama!” 

And that’s when it happened.  I literally felt it flood over me.  This promise that God gave me in the darkest hours.   Back in the fall and early winter when I felt like my whole life was falling apart around me.  And the promise of this child He’d been speaking to me about for two years seemed a total impossibility. 

"Gladness and joy will overtake you, and sorrow and sighing will flee away" (Isaiah 51:11)

That’s what I felt today.  Like gladness and joy had overtaken me.  

When she looked up at me and it just sunk in real deep.  He did this.  He really did this.  

Every weapon formed against us was destroyed.  Every mountain that arose to keep us from Eden was flung into the sea.

"Blessed is she who has believed that the Lord would fulfill his promise to her!" (Luke1:45)

I am blessed.  Overtaken. 

I’d gotten used to the sorrow and the hard.  And then I looked up and there she was.  Gladness and joy have overtaken me and I am undone by the weight of His grace.

7 comments:

  1. Oh to be overtaken! I think this may be my most favorite post. Love y'all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lacy! And thanks for all the love and support and prayers you guys have offered us over recent months. Your presence and prayers on those dark days and your gift and presence at the Night of Worship for Eden were all a part of Gods magnificent work in bringing her home. Much love, Haley

      Delete
  2. Haley,

    I'm so happy for you and your family. You all sure do deserve this wonderful blessing. Enjoy every moment!

    Lots of Love,
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Erin! Blessings to you and your big beautiful family :-) Haley

      Delete
  3. Haley, I came over to your blog from Adeye's blog. As I mentioned in the response above, we adopted our son from China right before he aged out too. I have been following Eden's story and I am so thrilled she has a family. She captured my heart in her sweet videos. I can see that she will bring your family much joy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haley, I just wanted to introduce myself and tell you how happy I am that Eden finally found her forever family! I advocated for her for months... I just knew y'all were out there somewhere! Who could resist that precious thing?! We adopted 2 girls from china a little over a year ago. Ashlyn is now 15 and has a repaired cl/cp. Abby is now 6 and has DS. If I can be of any help please let me know. I'm so excited for you ALL. God bless,
    Rebecca
    Www.loveisonthemove-hope.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. So very, very happy for Eden! She is just so precious. My name is Anneli and I serve at New Day South and was Eden's teacher for the 6 months she was with us. I was just going through pictures, sorting them for an upcoming adoption we have and I have a whole file of pictures of Eden from the time she was here! Send me an email at: annelifjohnson@gmail.com and I'll send them to you. :)

    Praying and think of you all often!

    Blessings,
    Anneli

    ReplyDelete